Posts Tagged ‘ home security ’
Here are some helpful tips to keep your home and valuables safe from burglary and/or vandalism so you can leave your worries behind.
- Don’t let your landscaping camouflage a break in. Make sure doors and widows are not obscured by trees and shrubs. Keep shrubs trimmed below window level and trees trimmed away from your house.
- Don’t let mail, newspapers or packages pile up while you’re gone. Accumulations of such items signify a vacant property. Either ask a neighbor to bring in your mail, papers and packages or arrange to have the deliveries held or stopped for the duration of your trip.
- Check your alarm system and notify the company that monitors your fire and burglar alarms that you will be away.
- Make sure your sprinkler system is working properly.
- Bring ladders and tools inside so they can’t be used to gain entry into your home.
- Buy a timer for your lights and set them to go on and off in a different rooms at different times of the day.
- Leave a key, itinerary, alarm code and phone numbers with a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Check and lock all windows and doors prior to departure
- Lock your garage and pet doors.
- Don’t hide a spare key in an obvious place (like under the mat).
- Download an app, such as iCam, available for Andorid and iPhone to link webcams (installed on most desktop and laptop computers) to the app. This will allow you to monitor inside your house from your smartphone.
- Do not broadcast that you are away on social media.
- When you get back from your trip, be sure to inspect your home. Look for signs of entry or missing items. If you notice anything unusual, call the police immediately
[ Read More...]