Position: Personal Lines Property Underwriter
Position Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Department: Underwriting PL
Summary: Candidates for this role must be able to determine the eligibility of risks in accordance with guidelines of available programs for the purpose of insuring profitable risks. This position is additionally responsible for maintaining advanced expertise, acting as a ‘go-to’ person for junior staff members, and providing training in the assigned area of specialty i.e. Louisiana.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate submissions, renewals, endorsements and other requests within delegated levels of authority.
- Assist with team member training as directed by supervisor.
- Use knowledge and independent judgment to determine eligibility of risks.
- Review inspections to ensure compliance with underwriting guidelines and insurance-to-value.
- Review complex accounts with Underwriting Team to evaluate and gain approval of underwriting decisions as appropriate.
- Respond to questions from agents, insureds and vendors.
- Assist agents with comments or questions about application submittals and the likelihood of acceptance by company.
- Foster effective working relationship with agents, Marketing Reps, Underwriting team members and members of other departments.
- Conduct effective agency training as needed; secure market information and share with other departments.
- Must work well with team members to ensure efficient workflow and provide suggestions/feedback for workflow improvement.
- Anticipate customer needs and resolve customer problems.
- Meet expectation for punctuality and attendance.
- Listen and observe employee communications with agents and others for the purpose of improving customer service.
- Reliably complete complex projects assigned by management.
- High School or equivalent; College degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years personal lines property experience as an underwriter.
- Agents License preferred, other relevant professional designations and certifications highly desirable. As required by regulatory entities.
- Must demonstrate advanced knowledge of underwriting fundamentals and knowledge of rates, products and coverages. Must also make sound underwriting recommendations and decisions. Demonstrate thorough understanding of independent and/or direct writer agency requirements and methods of operation.
- Build strong agency relationships and relationships with team, company and related company personnel. Demonstrate problem solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills. Excellent Telephone Technique.
- Intermediate Windows Operating Systems, Word and basic Excel; Outlook, AS400, Web based software.
- Ability to manage relationships in a fast paced environment, while demonstrating persistence and problem solving skills.
- Emotional intelligence – self awareness, confidence, ability to manage conflict, empathy.
- Ability to read/write/speak English required; Bilingual (Spanish) highly encouraged to apply.
Resumes and cover letters can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.