Access Home Tips: Preparing Your Home for Summer Vacation
While you’re away on that long awaited summer vacation, your home may be vulnerable to burglary, theft or vandalism. Here are some tips to help you leave your worries behind and protect your home and possessions:
- Make sure shrubs are below window level and trees have been trimmed away from your house.
- Stop all routine delivery services such as mail, newspaper and groceries.
- Check your alarm system and notify the company that monitors your fire and burglar alarms that you will be away.
- Make sure your sprinkler system is working properly.
- Secure ladders and tools so they can’t be used to gain entry into your home.
- Buy a timer for your lights and set them to go on and off in a random pattern.
- Leave a key, itinerary, alarm code and phone number with a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Check and lock all windows and doors prior to departure.
- Close your garage and pet doors.
- Don’t hide a spare key in an obvious place like under the mat.
- Download an app, such as iCam, available for Andorid and iPhone to link webcams (installed on most desktop and laptop computers) to the app. This will allow you to monitor inside your house from your smartphone.
- Do not broadcast that you are away on social media. Post about your vacation when you return.
When you get back from your trip, be sure you inspect your home. Look for signs of entry or missing items. If you notice anything stray, be sure to call the police immediately. If you currently have an Access Home Insurance policy and have questions regarding filing a claim, please contact your agent or visit our website at https://accesshomeinsurance.com/claims/frequently-asked-questions/